SOP Numbering System

I am having a really hard time finding any information regarding how to number an SOP when it involves two different departments. I understand how to number them with one department. I have a lot of SOP’s that involve QC and Manufacturing. Do I make a specific category for the combined departments? Is there a specific way to name and number the SOP?

Any information would be great!

Thanks

In our case we number our procedures according this classification.
SOP-XX-YYAAA
Where XX is the sector or department where the procedure takes place, YY the last two numbers of the year, and AAA as a correlative number starintg with 001 every year.
In the head of each document we have a column define as “Level of document” where we put three categories: General (for all company, or more than one Department is interest or use), Departamental (when only one Department is involved, as Production, Quality Control) or Specific (when involves only one sector, as FQ control Quality Assurance, or Packaging).
In any case you can choice which ever you like but this choice should be clearly explained and describe in your SOP Master procedure.

Best regards,

Cristian

There are no rules, regulations, or standards for document numbering. Use whatever works for you.

A lot of people try to come up with elaborate numbering schemes and then fall flat with the first deviation pops up. Keep it simple as possible. If you NEED to make specific categories to help manage, then do so. Christian Charpentier’s method may work quite well for his company but may not necessarily work so well for yours. The requirements are that you can readily retrieve documents and documents (the right version) are available at points of use.

(P.S. There’s no requirement for a SOP Master Procedure, either; but if it helps and is useful, go for it!)

another way to implement a number scheme is by using section numbers of a Quality System Standard (if you company complies with one), such as ISO 9001 or ISO13485.
For example, a high lever procedure for the Document Control or Record Control related procedure could be QSP-4.2-001. (QSP=Quality System Procedure, the three digit number at the end is just a next number in sequence)
A purchasing related work instruction could be WI-7.5-003. (WI=work instruction).

you can use other abbreviations too, and as other said, there is no specific requirement to the scheme that you use.