Server Qualification after move

What do I have to do to re-qualify a server after it is moved from one location/company to another location/company. The server is being qualified by the parent company and then given to the new company with the sale of the site. The new company has no idea how to qualify or validated anything. This server is used for their document management application

Hi there,

In my experience to date most of the servers I have been involved with where usually qualified on site. We would usually develop a URS, FRS and an IQ protocol/report to deal with the requirements from the FS.

We would cover such items as:

• CE directives
  • Access Control
  • Scope of Supply
  • Server Specification
  • Database Server
  • Backup Requirments
  • Server Redundancy
  • Environmental Requirments
  • Area Classification
  • Interface Requirments
  • Printers
  • Equipment Tagging
  • Power Supply
  • Electomagnetic Compatilbility
  • Surge and over Voltage Protection
  • Labelling
  • Earthing
  • Spare Capacity and Expandibility
  • Reliability and Availability
  • Power Failure
  • Catastrophic Failure Recovery Stratedgy
  • System Lifetime
  • Support

Even though this server has been qualified off-site I would still imagine that the validation department at this company would want to ensure that this server was qualified correctly as it will house the document management system which is a highly critical application.

Just a few thoughts

I would attack this from a different direction. First, I will assume that you have the server qualification documents from company 1. Now, if I move the server, what changes have occurred that may compromise the qualified status of the server. I add those items to a change control and complete my change control. Most likely, the list will include power, temp and humidity concerns. Maybe some networking changes as far a IP addresses.

The selling company has a third party that did an automatic installation on the server for Windows 2003 remotely. I then have a Qualifying document that verifies the installation. Problem here is that they have crossed out sections that were not installed at the time of the qualification and then were installed later. I’m searching through various people to find out exactly what happened here. The information that you have provided will help me ask the right questions. I’m sure I’ll be back once I get some more answers. thanks for the input.

The server hasn’t changed overnight - only its location.

Commission the hardware and update the configuration docs - only the IP would probably change - and even then only if its using static IPs.