Purified Water Distribution system

Dear Experts,

Please suggest me how to handle my system in case purified water distribution system circulation pumps got trip due to power outage or any other reason for more than 10 minutes.

Water get stagnant in the purified water tank.

Than how do i start my system, what type of parameters are to be verified before resuming the water supply for manufacturing.

Is there any reference which guides us for how much time our purified water can remain idle due any breakdown or power failure.

Please provide if you have .

Thanks in advance.

waiting for your valuable guidance and suggestions

Parveen Garg

[quote=parveen.garg]Dear Experts,

Please suggest me how to handle my system in case purified water distribution system circulation pumps got trip due to power outage or any other reason for more than 10 minutes.

Water get stagnant in the purified water tank.

Than how do i start my system, what type of parameters are to be verified before resuming the water supply for manufacturing.

Is there any reference which guides us for how much time our purified water can remain idle due any breakdown or power failure.

Please provide if you have .

Thanks in advance.

waiting for your valuable guidance and suggestions

Parveen Garg[/quote]

Praveen,

I do not know any guidance which would give a straight answer to your question, but ISPE baseline guide for Water system has lot of information. First of all you will have to open a Deviation report and try to find out a root cause (why the power failure occurred?) A possible solution would be back-up generator for important systems like PW system. If you do not wish to sanitize the system, you can sample all the POUs for full regular testing and make sure that the quality of the stagnant water was not compromised(Risk Assessment). No guidance document will tell you how long your system can stay stagnant, you will have to demonstrate it through a study protocol.

Best,

thanks dear,

Thanks for your valuable response

parveen Garg

Hi Praveen

I concur with helloswagat. But a small critical note.

ISPE does have GOOD PRACTICE GUIDES and they are very valuable. In this case I do not exactly what is written on the topic of stagnant water, BUT in case an unforeseen (or negative) event occurs you should always need to think from the quality and safety vantage point to the product/process

How did the event affect the water quality, and the running processes (= PW users) at that moment is your driving question??

So indeed a water quality check would be required. But is it required at all time??
The answer is NO: There is a margin. Water doesn’t go bad that quickly. Depending on how your system is designed (automation wise) you could restart without any problem. for instance we may restart our water loop without testing if circulation did not stop for more than 4 hours. If more than 4 hours we drain, sanitise and do quality testing.

Just to show that different possibilities can be done.

For the part of what other checks to perform.
Depending on the trip you should evaluate what went wrong.
Was it just the failing of the pump, then get a technical revision of your pump.
Was it power outage, check alarms of your PW system resolve them and continu. (Your automation qualification should have proven that you can rely on the alarm message s of the system.
Were there any users taking water at the moment? Then production should evaluate impact to there production process.

Good luck
and best wishes for the upcoming holidays

Thanks jo .