Logbooks

We currently have server logbooks to document various maintenance activities and other operational tasks. These are housed with the servers in the data centre.

Some other groups are using electronic logbooks. Would we yield a benefit of using an electronic logbook for infrastructure as opposed to applications?

I think electronic logbooks are great for servers. Paper logbooks are difficult to maintain from a compliance perspective and the data isn’t very accessible. With an electronic logbook you can search for items to build up certain profiles and you can get information at the click of a button; how long would it take to sift through 3 years of paper for a busy server?

I believe that using electronic logbooks you are making data, information. Data that is not useful isn’t information and information solves problems!

Mark

What king of control or security would you have on your logbooks?

The logbooks should be controlled by an SOP, users must be trained in the SOP.

The documentation department will control and issue logbooks and retain them for the retention period.

I agree for paper logbook. I was more curious about electronic logbook that you are refering to. What kind is it?
Thanks

What king of control or security would you have on your logbooks?