Deactivation of levofloxacine

Does anybody know how can I deactivate levofloxacine?
Traces of the molecule can be washed and rinsed from tanks, garments and utensils but we have been asked to deactivate the molecule before being able to take that water to the water treatment plant.
I have already tried to look for some references but I cannot find anything available.

Dear Laura,

I think you have posted your query at different forum (as this forum is meant for issues related to cleaning and cleaning validation). Now since you have posted it, I try to answer it.

You have been asked to deactivate levofloxacin as it is a known fact that quinolones (especially Ofloxacin/levofloxacin) are difficult to remove completely from waste water using conventional activated-sludge (i.e. adsorption of ofloxacin on activated sludge) process in a wastewater-treatment facility and the possible impact/risk it can have on environment and ecotoxicology.

Based on the available literature (on the topic concerned) and the chemistry of Ofloxacin I would like to recommend following approaches for removal of ofloxacin from waste water:
[LIST=1]

• Photolytic degradation (or simply photodegradation) using ultraviolet light.
  • Ozonation (ozonolysis) of levofloxacin.
  • Chemical treatment using strong oxidants such as hydrogen peroxide or Fenton’s reagent (you may also try a combination of H2O2 and UV, as suggest in one of the references).
  • Contact suppliers/companies dealing with waste-water treatment, you may try any of their recommended method, if your company is not ready to invest that much in the study. Here are some of the references that might be of useful: [LIST=1]
  • Kakimoto Takashi, Funamizu Naoyuki; [b]Environmental Engineering Research Effect of phosphate, ammonia and pH on the degradation of antibiotics in the composting toilet[/b]; VOL. 43; PAGE.429-435(2006).
  • Monica W. Lam and Scott A. Mabury; [b]Photodegradation of the pharmaceuticals atorvastatin, carbamazepine, levofloxacin, and sulfamethoxazole in natural waters[/b]; Aquatic Sciences - Research Across Boundaries; Volume 67, Number 2 / May 2005.
  • Jelena Radjenovic, Mira Petrovic and Damiá Barceló; [b]Analysis of pharmaceuticals in wastewater and removal using a membrane bioreactor[/b]; Anal Bioanal Chem. 2007 February; 387(4): 1365–1377 (available online at http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1805043 ).
  • Book “Trends in water pollution research” by James V. Livingston (2005); [b]Chapter IV: Removal of Ofloxacin and Propranolol from Water by Means of Ozonation and H2O2/UV System[/b] (by Canterino Marisa et al.).
  • B. Pauwels and W. Verstraete; [b]The treatment of hospital wastewater: an appraisal[/b]; Journal of Water and Health; 04.4, 2006 (available at www-32.cis.portlandcs.net/jwh/004/0405/0040405.pdf)

Note: Whichever method you use for removal of levofloxacin and related compounds, please make sure the method is properly documented, evaluated and verified before being implemented for routine use.

Hope the info was relevant and useful to you. If you are able to remove it successfully using any of the method please don’t forget to share it with us.