Water system qualification

This is related to qualificatioin od Purified water distriibutiuon. We are in process of writing URS for Purified water generation and distributioin system. Can any one tell me what is the effect of distribution pipe diameter on the performance. As per my knowledge whether we use 1" dia or 2" dia it will not affect the system as long as required velocity/turbulance is maitained during circulation. What is significance of reynold number? do we need to cosider this? if yes how to calculate the same?

Dear Harsh,
Sizing of pipe shall be based on peak requirement of water for which system need to be designed for specific flow rate. Also cosidering minimum return velocity to be maintained. Cost is major factor in finalizing pipe size if you have option.
Reynold number indicates the linear, transient or turbulant water flow line.

Reynold number Re= (Density X velocity X Inside dia)/Dynamic Viscocity of water

What is the significance of Reynold number in designing water distribution system can anyboudy explain in brief ?

In water system (or in any fluid flow system) Reynolds number indicated the nature of fluid flow in pipelines. There is direct relation of nature of flow & biofilm formation inside the pipelines. It is considered that if water flow in pipeline is laminar type it may cause formation of biofilm & this can be avoided by having turbulent flow in water distribution system.
Reynolds number < 2000 means …Laminar flow.
Reynolds number 2000 to 4000 means …Transient flow. &
Reynolds number > 4000 means …Turbulent flow.

In fluid mechanics the Reynolds number (Re) is a dimensionless number that gives a measure of the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces (u/L)

Thanks Ravi

Regrds
Himanshu C

Nice post guys!

nice presentation It helped me to understand the requirement

nice ravi it is also helpful for me to understand Reynold number.

ANIL SAXENA