Validation of Backup environment in data Centers

I am presently acquiring TSM (Tivoli Storage manager ) to automise the daily ,monthly backup . The data Center environment has a set of SAP Validated servers and presently the backup is being done thro SAP native "BR Backup " which is working fine.

Now I need to validate this newly acquired TSM environment within the Data center. As for a the TSM ( A separate server comprising the H/W + TSM S/W component) validation is concerned is pretty straight forward with URS, FRS and master validation docs .

Now For the backup of already validated SAP servers we need to install a TSM Agent to enable automatic backup in each of the already validated servers . ( please note the TSM Agent is a separate component to be installed in each of the SAP server which will be communicating with the TSM server and for backup will be invoking the SAP native "BR BAckup "

Is it required to revalidate the SAP servers again? or is there is any other way by which I can establish that the TSM agent is a separate component and is not interferring with the SAP Data Flow ?

[quote=sanantha.s]
presently the backup is being done thro SAP native "BR Backup " which is working fine.[/quote]

Is the “BR Backup” going to be retired?

[quote=sanantha.s]
Now For the backup of already validated SAP servers we need to install a TSM Agent to enable automatic backup in each of the already validated servers . ( please note the TSM Agent is a separate component to be installed in each of the SAP server which will be communicating with the TSM server and for backup will be invoking the SAP native "BR BAckup "[/quote]

I am confused about this part what exactly does the TSM agent do?
What does the TMS server do?

What is the difference bewteen the BR Backup and the TSM agent?

Please explain what the TSM agent does, what is its relationship with the SAP servers/Dataflow?

TSM Agent is a small piece of S/W which does the following functions :-

AA) It establishes connectivity between TSM Server and the TSM client( In other words the SAp Server).
BB) Responds to TSM server’s call to initiate the SAP native “BR Backup utility/ Functionality within a " already validated SAP server”.

CC) This TSM Client need to be installed and configured on this " Already validated SAP Server". The configuration requires that ,I need to provide the TSM server address and the location of the file within the SAP server that calls the fuction " BR Backup".

Once the SAP native "BR Backup " utility is initiated the the backup takes place between the Storage and the Tape Library underits control .At this point onwards there is no role for the TSM client or TSM agent

[quote=sanantha.s]TSM Agent is a small piece of S/W which does the following functions :-

AA) It establishes connectivity between TSM Server and the TSM client( In other words the SAp Server).
[/quote]

You need to prove that this connectivity works correctly and consistently if it does so more than once. This would form part of an an independent IQ for the new software or you could update the validation set for the SAP validation to include it here. This new software would need to be include as part of the validation plan aswell. In my opinion it is cleaner to keep everything together, just my opinion from this post if you want to keep it independent that is fine too.

[quote=sanantha.s]
BB) Responds to TSM server’s call to initiate the SAP native “BR Backup utility/ Functionality within a " already validated SAP server”.[/quote]

Again this functionality needs to be tested, either the server call and the BR Backup.

When I hear the words installed and configured I immediately think IQ for installation and OQ for configuration, be cafeful here as you do not want to harm the SAP server, are you going to test this on a dummy system first?

Hope this helps, its difficult to be more precise when I am not directly involved.

Dear Graham O’Keeffe

Yes you hit nail on the head . Would first of all do the IQ,OQ of the TSM Server functionality of TSM server and the TSM client functionality using a dummy server and establish the Validation of the TSM server ,

Then is the question…

I need to Install and Configure th TSM client on all these " already validated SAP servers " and test the end end Backup functionality and will use it establish the PQ protocals.

Of course the challenge is documentation in preparing the protocols .

Will this be O .K ?

So you need to install all of the TSM clients on all the SAP servers. Are all the SAP servers identical in terms of functionality?

If they are all identical then I would take the following approach:

Do a full IQ/OQ/PQ offline to ensure it works correctly, then for example if they are all identical do a full IQ/OQ/PQ on the first server then do partial IQ/OQ/PQ’s on the remaining servers.

This approach will only work if all servers are idenitcal and configured in the same way.

All of this needs to be documented fully and you will need to get sign-offs from all the departments that this affects i.e Quality, Engineering, Validation, Manufacturing etc.

Please dont take this as the correct anwser from what I know of the situation this approach seems logical.

Regards