Validate software tools?

Hi,
We are having a good debate at my employer about software tools. Do they need to be validated separate from the application? Or if you validate the application, that in itself shows that the software tools are validated? Not finding much information about this. Thanks!:slight_smile:

Hi Mattossa,

Can you give an example of these software tools?

Regards

[quote=gokeeffe]Hi Mattossa,

Can you give an example of these software tools?

Regards[/quote]

Sure- “tools” such as debuggers, compilers, editors, code generators. These would be part of the software design process. We’re having a debate here at work about this. My answer is that it is risk dependent, and successful validation of the SW itself exemplifies the tools as being successful in doing their “job”. If the tools are rated high risk, due to the software being high risk, each tool may be validated as determined needed by the risk analysis.

What do you think?

Generally, I would say that those tools wouldn’t need validation based on the fact that you will do testing of your product software (as you indicated). Bear in mind that you would only validate a tool for its intended use. There’s no way you could thoroughly validate a compiler. You MAY want to do a little qualification - confirm the tools are properly installed, do some due diligence on known bugs, etc.

It’s a good idea to document your decisions (for validating or not) with sufficient rationale. You’re definitely on the right track with the risk analysis.

[quote=yodon]Generally, I would say that those tools wouldn’t need validation based on the fact that you will do testing of your product software (as you indicated). Bear in mind that you would only validate a tool for its intended use. There’s no way you could thoroughly validate a compiler. You MAY want to do a little qualification - confirm the tools are properly installed, do some due diligence on known bugs, etc.

It’s a good idea to document your decisions (for validating or not) with sufficient rationale. You’re definitely on the right track with the risk analysis.[/quote]

Very good- thanks for your feedback~