Surface monitoring of aseptic area

Can any body suggest me which procedure is best surface plate method by contact plate method or by swab sampling??

Dear Kuldeep,
RODAC plates (Replicate Organisms and Detection and Counting) works well on a smooth surface than irregular surface. Another advantage is that these plates have neutralizers which can nutralize the disinfectants used.It covers an area of 25 square cm. Any organism on the floor adhers to these convex plates and then when incubated under standard conditions will grow. A small problem with this is that they leave a residue on the surface after contact which must be removed immediately by cleaning procedures to minimize the risk of contamination. This is relatively simpler technique.

The swab test on other hand can be performed on irregular surfaces, tubes, conveyers , machines etc and reliability of this depending up on technique one uses.Swabs are streaked on to Microbial agar plates for identification or using transportmedia in por plates or membrane filtration techniques.The whole technique depends up on individual training and technique one uses. Swab microbial technique should be considered for method validation.

At your facility or personally for you if you are perfect with swab technique you can use that. RODAC plates are more simpler and give more ideal results as this does not depend up on individual techniques.

[quote=DURGA PRASAD]Dear Kuldeep,
RODAC plates (Replicate Organisms and Detection and Counting) works well on a smooth surface than irregular surface. Another advantage is that these plates have neutralizers which can nutralize the disinfectants used.It covers an area of 25 square cm. Any organism on the floor adhers to these convex plates and then when incubated under standard conditions will grow. A small problem with this is that they leave a residue on the surface after contact which must be removed immediately by cleaning procedures to minimize the risk of contamination. This is relatively simpler technique.

The swab test on other hand can be performed on irregular surfaces, tubes, conveyers , machines etc and reliability of this depending up on technique one uses.Swabs are streaked on to Microbial agar plates for identification or using transportmedia in por plates or membrane filtration techniques.The whole technique depends up on individual training and technique one uses. Swab microbial technique should be considered for method validation.

At your facility or personally for you if you are perfect with swab technique you can use that. RODAC plates are more simpler and give more ideal results as this does not depend up on individual techniques.[/quote]

Dear Sir,
I want to know that is there any problem if I will use swab as well as settle plate. I think there is not any problem. Because if we are able to perform recovery validation swab, then no body can rise the question. This is my opinion, but some of collegues says that it is old method. It may be old method but if we need to monitor surface of machine parts (irregular area), then we can not do contact plate for that area.
Thanks

Dear Kuldeep,
If you have strong documentation along with recovery calculations and reproducable technique for swab method its very good.There is nothing like old or new technique.Its a procedure. What suits to your company and what is reliable you know better than any other person.
If you can defend your case infront of regulatory authorities by showing reproducable results and documents thats enough.
Regards