Spectrophotometer validation

Dear All !

What is the simplest method to validate spectrophotometer. How could i come to know whether the spectrophotometer is validated preivously or not. there is no record …
Wht should i do ?

kindly suggest

regards

You must take the Operating mannual and try to make validation protocol . If you could not do that atleast calibrate daily before use.
Make a calibration schedule. Look for calibration schedules when it was started. Look the date of purchase. Ensure that the instrument is sensitive and properly adjusted.
1.Control of absorbance.
2.Limit of stray light.
3.Resolution power
4.Wavelength accuracy.

1 Like

have you read the operational manual? calibration procedure usually mentioned in there.

Dear Durga

Thanx for ur helpful sugesstion… I dont have operating manual.
Can u give me the details of the four steps that u mentioned. I have never done this so no idea.

Dear Parmacist 48,

We can find some info. on the internet such as FDA ORA manual.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ScienceResearch/FieldScience/LaboratoryManual/UCM092154.pdf

They also recommended manufacturer’s instruction for qualificatin items.

And, all manufacturers provide qualification service. you can contact them.

Dear Mr. Durga Prasad,

Can you please provide a ready to use protocol of validation of spectrophotometer?

Regards,
Suhas Walke

Mr.Suhas,
I do not have right now in hand.
I will try to get it from some friends and shall post it in Equipment validation section with in a week.

Regards

Dear Mr. Durga Prasad,

Have you posted the ready to use protocol of validation of spectrophotometer?

Regards,
Suhas Walke

I recieved calibration protocol. Unfortunately I did not recieve validation protocol. If you need calibration protocol I can post.

Dear Durga Prasad,

Please send the calibration protocol.

Also try to send the validation protocol.

Regards,
Suhas Walke
Email: suhascqaprofessional@hotmail.com

Dear Durga Prasad,

Please send the calibration protocol.

Regards,
morteza.moradi
Email: morteza9595@gmail.com

As Durga had mentioned in the first response, those parameters are the most often used (and I am assuming a single wavelength machine). You can accomplish this with a homium oxide standard. You will need to determine certain factors as the standard (resolution, points to monitor) and you will need to maintain the standard (it will photo degrade). But similar to any separation science, once you establish a baseline reading, you can compare your future readings against that standard.