Open Vs Closed System

Hello Group,

Can someone explain to me the differce between an open and a closed system. I thought i knew the difference but I think I’m confused about this.

Regards

[quote=chandra]Hello Group,

Can someone explain to me the differce between an open and a closed system. I thought i knew the difference but I think I’m confused about this.

Regards[/quote]

Dear Chandra,
Closed System
“An environment in which system access is controlled by persons who are persons who are responsible for the content of electronic records that are on the system.”

Open System
“An environment in which system access is not controlled by persons who are responsible for the content of electronic records that are on the system.”

I think this my clear my confusion.

Thanks

1 Like

Very nice and simple reply

One question I was asked recently is as follows:

If company A ( A Pharma Company) is using company’s B (A software company) artwork management system is this deemed an open or closed system.

More details…

It is a web application that is stored in company’s B offices along with the server it resides on. And company B control all aspects of the system. Company A use the system as their artwork management application.

So if the application is not used on site at the Pharma company then is it considered open or closed?

Any response would be appreciated.

What I understood is this. Company A uses the websystem facility stored and controlled by Company B.
This becomes a closed system if there is an MOU between the two organizations for managing the electronic content and its acccess, who does what. As from my understanding, outside persons can also be made responsible if proper controls in the form of agreements are there in place.So agreement procedures have to take care of other issues. Then all requirements as applicable to closed system are to be complied with.

Otherwise, it is treated as open system and to follow those requirements.

It is an open system

This is similar to most cloud based systems that Pharma companies are using nowadays and they are all considered “open” because the administration is mostly handled by the hosting company. Even if the Pharma company has an admin account to manage access and other admin type activities, the bottom line is that the hosting company has the overall admin rights on their servers where the e-records are stored.

1 Like

In short system which is having password privileges is considered as closed system and the one’s which does not contain password privileges shall be considered as open system

1 Like