Difference between FAT an SAT

Dear all,
i woul be thankful if anyone can provide me the basic difference between FAT and SAT ocumentation. i am not much aware of this so i request u guys to tell me about this and how does it vary from DQ? wrt documentation.
rgds,
aastute

Hi aastute,

Basically

FAT = Factory Acceptance Testing
SAT = Site Acceptance Testing

FAT is performed on the site of the vendor usually before the equipment/application is purchased, to ensure that the product has all of the required functionality from a URS perspective. This testing should be quite rigorous as there is little point in purchasing a piece of euipment if it doesn’t do what you wanty it to do.

SAT is testing perfomed on site to ensure that the application/equipment works as intended. Some companies perform a SAT before going into main validation testing, whereas other incorporate this testing into their IQ/OQ testing.

Hope this helps somewhat.

FAT (Factory Acceptance Testing) will be performed at Vendor site, inbetween of Manufacturing of equipment or before disposition to user’s site by user, Engg & QA.
The main contents required for FAT are

1. Visual inspection of Components (eg: Dimensions, Motor, Blower Spec, MOC, Valves (size & No.) & safety requirements (Alarms&Interlocks))

2. Critical Operational requirements
    based on Drawings & Documents (submitted along with DQ)

SAT (Site Acceptance Testing) will be performed at User’s site after receiving of the equipment before installation (before transport to usage area)

The above contents (which was mentioned in FAT) will be checked according to FAT.

:wink:

hi graham,
i thankyou very much for your reply but the basic thing which i want to confirm is documentation part differences.
as you told that FAT is done on vendors site and SAT in the location where it is gonna be installed. fine but what are you gonna check? coz the practice is URS, FAT, SAT, DQ, IQ, OQ, PQ as is the sequence.
Now in what way will the document vary? in FAT SAT and DQ? are all the one and same but repetition of work thrice else is there any major difference in performin those? can u provide any free site for referring the documentation part of it as i have never bn thro’ that till date except only DQ.
hope u can clear it
cheers,
astute

[quote=gokeeffe]Hi aastute,

Basically

FAT = Factory Acceptance Testing
SAT = Site Acceptance Testing

FAT is performed on the site of the vendor usually before the equipment/application is purchased, to ensure that the product has all of the required functionality from a URS perspective. This testing should be quite rigorous as there is little point in purchasing a piece of euipment if it doesn’t do what you wanty it to do.

SAT is testing perfomed on site to ensure that the application/equipment works as intended. Some companies perform a SAT before going into main validation testing, whereas other incorporate this testing into their IQ/OQ testing.

Hope this helps somewhat.[/quote]

Hi aastute,

Sometimes the FAT and the SAT are identical, sometimes they are different. I have recently worked on a DeltV project where the FAT or as they liked to call it the Internal testing was more comprehensive than the SAT.

It was up to the vendors in question to fully test the implmentation in house, the company in question perfomed a Risk Assessment and came up with a watered-down version of what they thought was critical and wanted to test (The SAT).

This all depends on resources, budget etc. My feeeling is that as long as everything is tested and can be traced back to the original requirements then there shouldn’t be an issue in relation to the quality of the product been deleivered.

Hi aastute,
Just remember that the basic idea of a FAT is that you want to test your system before it leaves the suppliers door, making sure that every function required from that equipment is available. It is usually easier to correct a problem at the supplier than it is at the installation point.(Site)
The SAT is there to make sure that nothing has changed from the time you performed the FAT up until the time it is installed. It all comes down to reassurance that the system you want is the system you get.
Hope that is of some help.