Cloud Operational Work Instructions

Hi
We’ve got a client using a cloud based SaaS system to track bugs. These bugs are often the origin for system changes.

Even though we have a change control procedure, we don’t have any operational procedures for using the cloud SaaS tool. Would a basic WI do the trick? I don’t want to do into detail since if the SaaS tool changes, we’ll have no control over the change and if parts of the procedure are affected, we will be out of compliance with our own procedures.

I was thinking maybe a risk assessment could be performed to document and justify a high level WI and mitigate any potential QA concerns. The SaaS tools are very intuitive anyway so this pretty much negates reams of SOPs to describe the operation.

Any help / feedback greatly appreciated.

Mark

The concept of cloud computing brings forth a new delivery model for IT services that are conducting businesses over the Internet.The process generally involves provision of scalable and virtualized resources over the internet. Not only does the process provide ease-of-access, but the speed and overall reliability of the entire concept of cloud computing is changing the IT industry rapidly.
Software as a service features a complete application offered as a service on demand. A single instance of the software runs on the cloud and services multiple end users or client organizations.

[quote=Mark Richardson]Hi
We’ve got a client using a cloud based SaaS system to track bugs. These bugs are often the origin for system changes.

Even though we have a change control procedure, we don’t have any operational procedures for using the cloud SaaS tool. Would a basic WI do the trick? I don’t want to do into detail since if the SaaS tool changes, we’ll have no control over the change and if parts of the procedure are affected, we will be out of compliance with our own procedures.

I was thinking maybe a risk assessment could be performed to document and justify a high level WI and mitigate any potential QA concerns. The SaaS tools are very intuitive anyway so this pretty much negates reams of SOPs to describe the operation.

Any help / feedback greatly appreciated.

Mark[/quote]

Hi Mark,

• yes I would create a WI or even an SOP for using the change control tool. Basically, it wouldn’t just be for pressing button x or button y for using the tool, it would cover :
  1. User account management
  2. Configuration control
  3. Roles and responsibilities

etc

These are the areas I would be concerned about with any system that is used for logging information on changes to systems regardless if its cloud or a clanky old access database. I would also make sure that processes such as backup and recovery are addressed for the tool and also if any DR requirements are needed.

I hope that helps.