CIP - Run times?

How long is your CIP cycle for a 300 Liter HSG and GBD?

I developed a cycle, and it takes 12 hours. is this too long?

Dear jml.56,

sorry, but, what does GBD stand for? I assume HSG is a high shear granulator.

The cleaning cycles seem to be too long, but obviously depend on what you need to remove. The longest cleaning cycle we have at our site is for the fluid bed dryer and it takes around 3½ hours, which include 1½ hours of drying the sinterized filter cartridges. The HSG takes about 3 hours to clean. The cycles include a cold water flush (with hot water starch and cellulose components get sticky and end up being more difficult to remove), detergent wash with 15 minute soaking, hot water detergent removal, hot water rinse, final purified water rinse and drying. A 12-hour cycle seems to be counterproductive.

Best regards

Alfred

sorry i meant FBD = Fluid Bed Dryer

what kind of HSG and FBD do you have?

We have a GEA 300 L HSG and FBD. one of the reasons for the long cleaning cycle is the filling and heating water. our system requests for water and then recirculates the water to temperatures. when temperature is reached, it is finally supplied for cleaning. so this refill and heat is the time consuming part.

thanks for your response.

Dear jml.56,

we have a Glatt WST 120 FBD and a Diosna P-600 HSG. For the cleaning cycle we use the site hot potable water supply (used or cleaning, changing room showers, etc.) avoiding the heat-up times. The only issue is that for the cleaning validation we had to force the hot water supply to the lowest temperature of the allowed range, in order to get the worst case, because during the shift change, when everybody takes a shower, the temperature of the hot water may drop to that lowest level. In your case I would consider the installation of a water boiler, perhaps dedicated to the CIP system, because with that cleaning cycles the equipment remains improductive too much time.

Best regards

Alfred

Alfred, you use potable water? Purified water is the norm for cleaning. I hope your firm at least uses WFI for the final rinses.

JML, you might consider the installation of heat exchangers, which are quite efficient. At an old company of mine we had limited equipment, so I heated a 700L tank through the jacket (hot glycol) to > 60C. I’ve never had a cleaning go 12 hours unless there was soaking involved. Better yet, have hot WFI drops in the room.

Dear RChong,

of course we use purified water for the final rinses, but it is nonsense to use purified water to wash away gross product remains, or to wash with purified water and then add a detergent.

best regards

Alfred