Biological indicator removal time?

Folks,

just want to do a bit of bench-marking on what the ideal time period is acceptable in removing BI’s for incubation post a sterilization cycle , i.e VHP or Steam.

Can you let the BI in place post the sterilization cycle without breaking the sterility of the pipework/ chamber until a suitable time is available to do so. or should they be removed the second the cycle finishes.

I only ask as some of our validation cycles finish up in the early hours of the morning with limit resources to remove BI to the lab .?

what do other do for these situations ? or is there an industry standard on such timelines ?

thanks

Some testing from Mesa lab showed that for 7 days BI stil have their characteristics unchanged after testing, so this is some limit, but usually people state in their SOP that it is one day or two days if testing is for weekend.

Thanks Zeljko,

Do you know if Mesa have this info readily available on their website as a I couldn’t find reference to it or does one need to formally request this info. Thanks

[quote=griffinneil]Thanks Zeljko,

Do you know if Mesa have this info readily available on their website as a I couldn’t find reference to it or does one need to formally request this info. Thanks[/quote]

Yes, on their website, Sporenews, Volume 10, no4 you can find article Effects of Delayed Incubation on BI Resistance by Eric Gillitzer, Ph.D.